Thursday, February 23, 2006

Sigur Ros Live Review



Last night Kristen and I had the pleasure of seeing the Icelandic band Sigur Ros at the Uptown Theatre. Here is our review:

Mark: We sure saw a hell of a show last night, didn't we? It was nice to finally get to see Sigur Ros live. I wasn't too sure what to expect until I saw that live video footage on their website. They certainly lived up to the hype and put on one of the most amazing live shows I've seen. I must admit, however, that it got kind of hard standing there for two hours while listening to music that lulls you into a complacent state of bliss.

Kristen: Totally agree with the sore feet statement and the $10 beers didn't help, but that show was really moving. The lead singer's voice was so haunting and beautiful. Truly hypnotic. Plus, the opening act, Amina, was fantastic. A 4-part female percussion band. Brilliant! Where do I sign up?

Mark: I was really surprised with Amina, too. I think Icelandic women have the most awesome sounding voices/accents. And what about their instruments? A bowed saw? That was really one of the most interesting parts of the entire night. I've actually listened to their EP twice now that I bought last night. It's really good blippy electronics with beautiful instrumentation of violin, cello, and harpsichord. So what was your favorite moment during Sigur Ros?

Kristen: I can't really pinpoint my favorite part. I liked hearing the songs from their album Ágætis Byrjun - especially "Olsen Olsen." I could have heard that song all night. Beautiful. And I especially LOVED when the audience kept humming the music after it ended. That was amazing. It felt like a religious experience. I was so drawn into the music. It was mesmerizing. What did you like?

Mark: Well, initially I was going to say "Olsen Olsen," too. That's my favorite song they do and also one of the most infectious. The last song they did, "Popplagid," was absolutely amazing, though. That was one of the most intense songs I've ever seen live. And overall I really dug the way they used that thin curtain on the first and last songs to create a video/shadow-type effect. I wasn't even familiar with the last song and when I looked it up, it's only on some compilation. I can't thank you enough for the tickets. It was a great time. Wilco and The Strokes....here we come!!!

Kristen: It was awesome! So intense - like the fire at the circus. I had a great time, despite it being a school night.

THE SETLIST

Feb. 22 • Uptown Theatre, Kansas City (MO)

1. Takk...
2. Glosoli
3. Ny Batteri
4. Saeglopur
5. Njosnavelin
6. E-Bow
7. Gong
8. Andvari
9. Hoppipola/Meo Blodnasir
10. Olsen Olsen
11. Hafssol
(Encore):
12. Svo Hljott
13. Heysatan
14. Popplagid

No comments: