Wednesday, February 21, 2007

News from the Northwest: Day Four


Today, I finished with my stores and the sun was out, so I decided to head out east for some sightseeing and BOY was I glad I did. Twenty minutes east of the city in Troutdale, I got off the highway and headed down the Historic Columbia River Highway.

There were huge cliffs all around and more mossy trees. But then, approx 4 minutes into the shady drive, I saw something that nearly made me hit a tree! I pulled off the road to take a picture. It was a waterfall, a natural, powerful, ROARING waterfall nearly 5 stories tall. I couldn’t believe it! This was NOTHING like the waterfall at the Topeka Zoo, y’all.

Luckily, as I learned, the scenic highway was littered with them. And I stopped at EVERY one. I reached a viewpoint called the Vista House that looked out over the the Columbia River Gorge, which Lewis & Clark traveled through in 1805 on their expedition to the west. It looked like the “Cliffs of Insanity” from the Princess Bride. It took my breath away. I got tons of pictures, which I will post tomorrow. Finally, I made my way to Hood River, OR in an attempt to snap a photo of Mt. Hood.

Unfortunately, there were MOUNTAINS blocking my way, so I drove the trusty Grand Prix up to a panoramic viewpoint and managed to get a few pictures – even though the clouds had rolled in. I can’t tell you how beautiful everything was today. Amazing. I sure hope to make it back here someday…in the summer. Brrrr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where are the pics???