Tuesday, August 15, 2006

626 Horses in Lawrence



This past weekend, after a long bike ride at Shawnee Mission Park, Kristen and I cleaned up and headed to Lawrence for lunch. We went to Free State Brewery and had a few beers and lunch. After, we decided to walk around Mass St. for a bit. As we were getting closer to the end of the street, Kristen yelled "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!?!?" Pointing toward one of the side streets, I replied, "HOLY CRAP, THAT'S A MERCEDES MCLAREN SLR!!! THEY'RE RARE AS HELL!!!" I went on to say, "those frickin' doors open straight up - not out like normal car doors." I then proceeded to tell Kristen that the car probably cost about $180,000.00, has 626 horsepower, and that we were seeing one of the rarest cars made today. It was extremely exciting to see it. Needless to say, it was a very cool car.

Later that evening, after returning from Lawrence, I decided to go online to see just exactly how much the SLR McLaren costs brand new. I didn't really know for sure, and I didn't want to tell Kristen it was a $180,000 car if in fact it was only a $100,000 car. Well...boy was I wrong. Brand new, MSRP is actually $452,750. That's half-a-million dollars people!!!

So see, we really did witness something otherwordly in Lawrence on Saturday. Needless to say, I drove around the block a couple times to get a few extra looks at it. I still find it odd that the car doesn't come with a personal body guard. I know I wouldn't have left it there alone on the street like that. So then I think I'm going to have to get one of them now.

Here's a video from Top Gear...

-MS

No comments: