Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Cabin Fever Sustenance

What do the Starrs do when we're stuck in the house during the freezing Kansas winter? We bake! Mark got me this boss new tart pan for Christmas, so I thought I would repay him with the delectable treasures below...
This is a pear almond tart. I had something like this at a French Bistro on the Plaza and have always wanted to try to duplicate it at home. The custard, or Frangipane, is made of ground almonds, almond extract, sugar, rum, and eggs.
My first quiche! It is filled with onions, bacon, and swiss cheese. Grandma Frances would have been so proud of me - I even weighted the crust with beans and baked it before I filled it and finished it off in the oven. She may have even overlooked the fact that I did not use IMPORTED Swiss cheese.
Yum. By the way - Cooks Illustrated magazine has the best pie crust recipes ever.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Papa would say, "Boy that looks good enough to eat!" Great job, Kristen, but are you sure Mark didn't help?

Anonymous said...

I helped eat it and that is it. - Mark

Anonymous said...

Is "frangipane" Italian...like Fragile? You may have yourself a MAJOR AWARD there!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job.......can smell it----yummmmmmmmmmm. Mom...Now you have it down pat....you can do one next time I come up.......

Anonymous said...

I'm expecting this during my stay at casa de Estrella.