Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Wilco Rules!!!





Last night was a very exciting night for me. I assume for Kristen, too, since she said she had fun. We went to see one of my absolute favorite bands, Wilco. They played at The Uptown Theatre where we saw Interpol and Sigur Ros earlier this year. Let me just say that Wilco is completely amazing live. Not only do their songs sound so perfect live, but they played for at least two hours.

I always love going to shows, but I really hate dealing with the younger kids around me. Last night was almost unbearable with everyone trying to crowd to the very front. "Hey jerkoff, you’re never going to make it up there so relax." At one point some guy had his head (literally) in my back. I turned around and rudely said “BACK UP.” I don’t mind people getting excited at a concert, but damnit…you don’t have to be up my ass.

The opening act was a duo from Australia called The Mess Hall. They were one of the better opening acts I’ve seen in a while – and loud!!! The drummer was just very energetic as he literally beat the hell out of his drums. But the whole time they were on stage I still just wanted Wilco to come out and get the show started. My old legs can’t take as much as they used to; even though I’m in better shape now than I have been in several years.

After a short transition and setup time, Wilco took the stage at around 9:15 to one of the loudest applauses I’ve heard in a very long time. I didn’t realize how much of a cult following they have. Granted, it’s mostly young drunk males, but still… Jeff Tweedy (the singer) didn’t say one word until about the sixth song. And that was fine because they sounded absolutely impeccable – just as I’d hoped.

I have to briefly say that Jeff Tweedy is one of my generation’s best artists. I’d have to group him with the likes of Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, and David Bowie. He won’t truly be appreciated for some time. Anyway, about a half hour into the show they played the first song off their latest album, A Ghost Is Born, called “At Least That’s What You Said.” Oh man was it amazing. If you know the song, you know there’s a point where the slow melodic pace becomes a pouncing piano and drum extravaganza. That was definitely the highlight of the evening for me, and I think it even made me love the song more. If that’s even possible…

All-in-all, Wilco did two encores and played for a little over two hours. My feet were sore as hell and Kristen and I were very tired. But there aren’t many times you get to see someone as utterly brilliant as Wilco, so I won’t complain any further.

More pictures of what the show looked like here.

The Setlist

Hummingbird
I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
Flowers
Airline
Handshake
Muzzle
At Least That's What You Said
Either Way
Hell is Chrome
Spiders (Kidsmoke)
Jesus, etc.
Theologians
Walken
Good Part
I'm The Man Who Loves You
Shot in the Arm

(encore)

Magazine
Always In Love
War on War
Kingpin
Late Greats

(encore 2)

Misunderstood
Thanks

-MS

No comments: